Skip to main content

WATERMELON SEEDS

Dried watermelon seeds fell from his jeans pocket.

He had worn it after a long time, a faraway time, a time before this era. The era of Covid-19. That sultry day, in the intense activity of the classroom, seeds were among the many things passed around. He did not fancy those yet indulged in some and kept the rest in the pocket.

Months had passed. The virus infused a workless monotony, him being almost always in shorts and tees, no occasion meriting otherwise. Studies seemed a distant affair. Routine became a distant memory. Because time got struck in the puddle of a virus. There was nothing to distinguish one day from the other, except news, which he had stopped following after a while. All his neighbours brandished information and theories just like the news and news anchors. Each more ridiculous than the rest. For some time, he too was convinced with one of the narratives and almost had become an advocate for it.

But the excitement of this theory didn’t last long to save embarrassment as it was equally ridiculous if not more.

Meanwhile, life always found new ways of engagement. Unless one grew so hopeless as to slip into depression. He didn’t. Rather he couldn’t. He had been through worse. The Covid-19 lockdown had nothing to cash in from him, not for now. 

One fine morning, getting bored of being bored, he pulled out a pair of jeans and a formal shirt. No reason, just to break the monotony of casualness imposed by lockdown. He felt something in the pockets. Upon upturning, dropped watermelon seeds…

Any other day, these were simply forgotten bits of food, clumsily occupying the jeans pocket. The maid would have discarded, eaten or simply given away.

Anything but mentioned anywhere, least of all in a blogpost here.

Not in a pandemic affected world. The seeds assumed gigantic proportions in his eyes. Little time capsules as they were, enclosing memories of his saner world. A mad, yet somehow a saner world.

 Jack’s magic beans took him some place. To a conclusion. But his tumbling watermelon seeds were simply residues of a people, place and event that belonged to a different world. Inconsequential. Not to him.

None of the people who shared the watermelon seeds that day, he will ever see in the days to come. They were foreigners whose insignificance gave way to a subtle significance. It reminded him of the incompleteness that always defines human lifetimes of which, unfortunately, he would see more in the pandemic.

‘Get over it. Your mind is affected by the mood of the world. Nothing more, nothing less,’ said someone upon being mentioned, the tumbling watermelon seeds.

They fell down from his jeans. He swept them into the dustbin.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Guy and His Meant-to-Be

Multitudes are ablaze inside as I navigate the day.  The song and dance of the frenzied emotions which take on the veil of calm & ease is extraordinarily stifling. The body shrivels, launches into a fit of despair and yet what the world sees is a happy individual at work with collected poise. Carrying this commotion-filled body in deceitful exterior in a relatively less chaotic weekend traffic, the holiday sees us in a cafĂ©. No sooner do we reach, than my sister is already into the laptop, while I open my book casually soaking in the atmosphere. I note a couple settling down; one diagonally in front of me while a girl sitting behind me, next-but-one table.  The day is still young for the coffee shop to begin its fast chores. The blank gossip emanating from the couple's table is too blunt to affect any interest, so I too dive into my book as my sister was already in her work which is when things started happening. Enter this guy, who completes the couple behind me and as one mig

In-Person Stories (Part - Whichever I Recollect)

I wanted to publish a detailed account of a dear friend's wedding. So I copiously took some notes while going through the revelries, being very much a part of them. Or so my concerned friend thought! But those painstakingly gathered observations got lost with time, people and life. Majorly disappointed, I thought of giving up on writing this self-anticipated account of a much awaited event in our little lives. I never thought my straight friend would be considerate enough to take a partner.  Not that he was a misogynist or a misogamist. On the contrary he has gone out of his way to make women feel at ease, whenever he came across one. In casual parlance, he sucked up to people (read girls), especially if he ever got to know one. Even to the discomfort of his friends like me. He had attended the most number of family marriage functions as the rest of us put together and does so still, dutifully. Although he was, as they say, never 'matrimonially inclined.' But some trickery,

No New Post!

No new post is worthy of being posted. They warned me of this. Writing, especially for the sake of writing is bad choice.  But, I went ahead anyway.  "How much of a flimsy idiot are you?" I stay transfixed. I have no reply to the following. What stuns me is not the argument they put forth, but the lack of answer/reply on my part. I know there is a reply in me somewhere. A good one. But it doesn't surface. Why am I writing a post? Who cares? Even if they do, how does it matter? In fact, I have been sloppy with my writing many a times, so why wouldn't anybody else be with their reading? That too, when they might not even be readers.   "Now, let us explain", explained these friends. "If    someone does open the link to your post (assuming someone actually does!), they will see the length of the post. Length might be a good thing, but definitely not in this case. A glance at the page is motivation enough to move ahead to a different picture, the next video