Skip to main content

IDENTITY

I opened my eyes. The left one felt skin obstructing its opening. The right one opened up to a sight of nostrils; beautiful, pale, white nostrils. But it took me both 5 minutes and a year to make sense of this sight.

The flooded banks of the mighty Brahmaputra had brought me, or us, asunder onto a remote bank. My head was resting on a woman's belly. She was motionless, just like I was 5 minutes ago. I sat up. On my other side I could see and hear the river in full spate. Hut material, animal carcass and endless stream of branches and twigs drifted past as a stream within a stream.



I tried hard to make sense of the sight around. The moment I realised I had leaned on a woman, I jerked myself on my feet and away from her. I looked around. Not a soul. Only nature made sound. I pushed myself for answers towards the woman. She was dead... 

Three months ago an Indian journalist had landed at the Guwahati International Airport. Next to him on the same flight was an anxious Middle-Eastern woman. She drifted past the airport trivialities and dashed out of the airport. The journalist followed this development out of the corner of his eye. Then he went his way.

The streets of Guwahati seemed a world apart from the places he further visited. Assam state, it seemed, was made up of dead bodies of humans and beasts. Some charred by rioting and the remaining ones bloated by heavy floods.

As he moved into the interiors of this geography, he closed on to the exteriors of the country. He saw more of everything that no one would ever want to see. He knew that the 'so called' border between India and Bangladesh is home to some of the most poor, vulnerable and densest population in the world. It drifts and shifts with the river flow. And as the border shifts so do human minds, outlooks and fates. Same lifestyle, same clothes, same language, same problems but people lunge to kill. All because of that disguised beast - IDENTITY. 

One day the river belongs to Muslims; next day the Hindus. One day the alluvial tract is India's, the next day it is Bangladeshi. As nature made river change course, so did human interpretation and response.

The Middle-Eastern looking woman was a Bangladeshi, travelling on an Indian passport. She had both. Maddened with hope and despair, she had come to recover her children and confirm the fate of her family, her entire village. Her only identity she cared about. Just across a fluctuation in wilderness yet unreachable. Her home yesterday but an alien country now.

The journalist, a Delhi guy, was Indian. Or so he thought. Riots for claiming space in a land where space was claimed only by nature changed the lady's fate and his identity. During his coverage, he took a blow on the head and when he regained consciousness he was straddling a dead woman. The same Middle-Easterner from his earlier memory of her. A memory, he had lost.

She was back in her native village, maybe in mind when she was alive, and definitely in body now that she was dead, regardless of the country.

Now, I fish for living. When asked, I am taught by fellow humans to tell my name as Sadat (Truth). They say I am in Bangladesh, a Bangladeshi. My documented identity - the Indian one, lies at the bottom of Brahmaputra or perhaps the Indian Ocean.

Or maybe, I am Sadat.

Comments

  1. very well written prashant. Enthralling at the same time emotionally touching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughtfully written.Readers have to ponder over. We are convinced that Nature makes no discrimination.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Guy and His Meant-to-Be

Multitudes are ablaze inside as I navigate the day.  The song and dance of the frenzied emotions which take on the veil of calm & ease is extraordinarily stifling. The body shrivels, launches into a fit of despair and yet what the world sees is a happy individual at work with collected poise. Carrying this commotion-filled body in deceitful exterior in a relatively less chaotic weekend traffic, the holiday sees us in a cafĂ©. No sooner do we reach, than my sister is already into the laptop, while I open my book casually soaking in the atmosphere. I note a couple settling down; one diagonally in front of me while a girl sitting behind me, next-but-one table.  The day is still young for the coffee shop to begin its fast chores. The blank gossip emanating from the couple's table is too blunt to affect any interest, so I too dive into my book as my sister was already in her work which is when things started happening. Enter this guy, who completes the couple behind me and as one mig

In-Person Stories (Part - Whichever I Recollect)

I wanted to publish a detailed account of a dear friend's wedding. So I copiously took some notes while going through the revelries, being very much a part of them. Or so my concerned friend thought! But those painstakingly gathered observations got lost with time, people and life. Majorly disappointed, I thought of giving up on writing this self-anticipated account of a much awaited event in our little lives. I never thought my straight friend would be considerate enough to take a partner.  Not that he was a misogynist or a misogamist. On the contrary he has gone out of his way to make women feel at ease, whenever he came across one. In casual parlance, he sucked up to people (read girls), especially if he ever got to know one. Even to the discomfort of his friends like me. He had attended the most number of family marriage functions as the rest of us put together and does so still, dutifully. Although he was, as they say, never 'matrimonially inclined.' But some trickery,

No New Post!

No new post is worthy of being posted. They warned me of this. Writing, especially for the sake of writing is bad choice.  But, I went ahead anyway.  "How much of a flimsy idiot are you?" I stay transfixed. I have no reply to the following. What stuns me is not the argument they put forth, but the lack of answer/reply on my part. I know there is a reply in me somewhere. A good one. But it doesn't surface. Why am I writing a post? Who cares? Even if they do, how does it matter? In fact, I have been sloppy with my writing many a times, so why wouldn't anybody else be with their reading? That too, when they might not even be readers.   "Now, let us explain", explained these friends. "If    someone does open the link to your post (assuming someone actually does!), they will see the length of the post. Length might be a good thing, but definitely not in this case. A glance at the page is motivation enough to move ahead to a different picture, the next video