Skip to main content

Days In Rain!

Events seem to unfold vividly (played out again in our minds) from days bygone, retained in greatest detail, to the time of the day and the dress she was wearing...


There used to be a girl who lived just outside my window. We played and laughed together, fought to bruise each other and rushed out to enjoy the first rains as they came down every year in front of our little dwellings, leaving our pains behind. That was joy of the most joyous kind.

And then there was social existence. Every year our families had some common rituals. Not of the religious kind but the social ones.

For example, after the annual exams comparison of academic performances was an important aspect of community living. Each of our parents tried very hard to ensure that their child's grades were not revealed! But the occasional visitor to each of our houses always slipped some gossip to some other common acquaintance. The look in our mother's faces was enough to gauge how we had fared compared to each other.

NOW YOU MIGHT THINK THAT THE TIME INTERVAL BETWEEN GETTING REPORT CARDS AND THE LEAKS MAY BE A WEEK OR TWO! Light speed gossip defies all laws. Only two days at best...

Anyways, our laughing and playing made way for an unsaid, undeclared but fierce competition. Who scores a better paying job and hence a better spouse? And both of these together would be no good if one didn't move to a western country. So there you go... goals defined, I just faked a laugh every time the girl and I crossed paths. We were competitors with more than aggressive backing of parents and relatives. We also had the backing of neighbors, who split loyalties, depending on whose parents kept them more happy!

Year after year distances grew. The window across the street was a world away.

Rains came down like every year! I had lost track of seasons, years. But one day, sitting  besides my window, I saw outside. The beautiful weather told me it was June. It reminded me of that June, ages ago. We had come out and enjoyed the drops with an almost sacred innocence. We had put our hands out first and felt the first drops. We has smiled blissfully looking at each other, exchanging an unsaid, 'So nice, isn't it?'

She had landed the dream job, dream spouse and a dream western living. I landed neither the dream job nor the dream spouse and by extension western living seemed too far fetched.

That rainy day, none of us had reacted in our usual ways. No smirk, no giving a thumbs down or a fake thumbs up to the other.

As of this day, I do not know how she looks. And I bet she doesn't too. The rains continue to fall outside our little windows. I am unsure how she feels of the rains now; or whether she had ever noticed a drizzle in years! Neither did I, until that one day.

Comments

  1. Really good one.... its difficult to find words to capture nostalgia so beautifully....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Guy and His Meant-to-Be

Multitudes are ablaze inside as I navigate the day.  The song and dance of the frenzied emotions which take on the veil of calm & ease is extraordinarily stifling. The body shrivels, launches into a fit of despair and yet what the world sees is a happy individual at work with collected poise. Carrying this commotion-filled body in deceitful exterior in a relatively less chaotic weekend traffic, the holiday sees us in a cafĂ©. No sooner do we reach, than my sister is already into the laptop, while I open my book casually soaking in the atmosphere. I note a couple settling down; one diagonally in front of me while a girl sitting behind me, next-but-one table.  The day is still young for the coffee shop to begin its fast chores. The blank gossip emanating from the couple's table is too blunt to affect any interest, so I too dive into my book as my sister was already in her work which is when things started happening. Enter this guy, who completes the couple behind me and as one mig

In-Person Stories (Part - Whichever I Recollect)

I wanted to publish a detailed account of a dear friend's wedding. So I copiously took some notes while going through the revelries, being very much a part of them. Or so my concerned friend thought! But those painstakingly gathered observations got lost with time, people and life. Majorly disappointed, I thought of giving up on writing this self-anticipated account of a much awaited event in our little lives. I never thought my straight friend would be considerate enough to take a partner.  Not that he was a misogynist or a misogamist. On the contrary he has gone out of his way to make women feel at ease, whenever he came across one. In casual parlance, he sucked up to people (read girls), especially if he ever got to know one. Even to the discomfort of his friends like me. He had attended the most number of family marriage functions as the rest of us put together and does so still, dutifully. Although he was, as they say, never 'matrimonially inclined.' But some trickery,

No New Post!

No new post is worthy of being posted. They warned me of this. Writing, especially for the sake of writing is bad choice.  But, I went ahead anyway.  "How much of a flimsy idiot are you?" I stay transfixed. I have no reply to the following. What stuns me is not the argument they put forth, but the lack of answer/reply on my part. I know there is a reply in me somewhere. A good one. But it doesn't surface. Why am I writing a post? Who cares? Even if they do, how does it matter? In fact, I have been sloppy with my writing many a times, so why wouldn't anybody else be with their reading? That too, when they might not even be readers.   "Now, let us explain", explained these friends. "If    someone does open the link to your post (assuming someone actually does!), they will see the length of the post. Length might be a good thing, but definitely not in this case. A glance at the page is motivation enough to move ahead to a different picture, the next video